The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. The IRC Nigeria country program is implementing multi-sectoral interventions in the sectors of: Health and Nutrition; Environmental Health; Child Protection; Education; Women’s Protection and Empowerment; Food Security and Livelihoods and Protection. Most of these programs are driven in strategic partnership with government partners and communities.
Research, Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
The M&E Officer is responsible for managing key research and M&E activities and will track, collect, and review project level performance data and conduct analysis where required. General responsibilities of M&E Officer include: providing research support in data collation, training research enumerators/ assistants, develop M&E plans; tracking activities and results. He/she should have capacity to develop information management systems for reporting and retrieving research results; guidance documents and training materials for results reporting; and assisting project research principles in associated research materials consolidation to meet the research outcomes. The role will also include participation in field monitoring activities and technical support to field teams during the research lifespan. The M&E Officer will work under the supervision of Education M&E Manager, overseen by the M&E coordinator.
- Support the Education Sector in implementing research package within the locations of assignment, following ethically sound research approaches, a research protocol and a set work plan;
- Ensure that detailed and feasible project monitoring plans are developed that: i) consider ethical and safe collection and storage of data, ii) consider data quality, iii) consider storing, protecting and sharing project documents;
- Closely work with M&E and Education Managers to make sure the research project has adequate and tested standard monitoring tools that capture research activities outputs;
- Make sure all research locations have accountability mechanisms;
- In consultation with the Education M&E Manager, organize lesson sharing events like lesson bazars to fertilize learning among different input across the centers;
- Assist in identifying, documenting, storing and sharing lessons learned that have implications for refinement of best programmatic practice;
- Lead implementation research studies conducted in formal education (tutorial) program;
Research, monitoring and evaluation:
- Lead baseline and end-line evaluation data collection (including development of data collection tools, recruitment and training of enumerators, data collection and compilation of the data);
- Manage routine data collection from formal learning centers and share when appropriate;
- Support the M&E Manager and HQ technical Unit to analyze and publish results of research;
- Develop and follow monthly/annual research activity plans including M&E plans;
- Work with M&E Manager to determine which monitoring activities will take place and which data collection methods to use;
- Ensure that data is collected and entered into databases and/or tracking sheets, and/or the data platform on a regular basis;
- Track progress on action points related to implementation and M&E activities;
- Closely follow up the field data collection and flag data collection issues to the M&E Manager;
- Conduct data quality audit of research data to identify and resolve systemic problems affecting data quality;
- Document findings from data quality audits and store in project files to ensure collective and sustainable access;
- Support in identifying and synthesizing good practices and lessons learned.
- University degree in: statistics, computer science, social science, measurement and evaluation, economics and statistics, or a related discipline;
- Minimum of two (2) years working experience in research/monitoring and evaluation within development / humanitarian sector, preferably in education sector;
- Proven technical skills in research, monitoring and evaluation, including experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis;
- Good knowledge of research methods, methodologies and techniques;
- Proven experience in conducting standard research, preferably in education sector;
- Familiarity with data analysis tools (e.g: Advanced Excel with Pivot Tables, Power Pivot, Power Query and complex Excel formula);
- Familiarity with and ability to develop electronic data collection tools using: ODK, Kobo collect and Tangerine.
- Develop interactive dashboard using: Pivot Tables and/or Microsoft Power BI.
- Proactive and effective planning and organizing skills; flexible work attitude;
- Proven abilities in developing monitoring plans, data collection, information management, use of databases, and analysis and performance monitoring;
- Comprehensive knowledge of humanitarian accountability principles and their translation into practice;
- Strong commitment to IRC’s mission, purpose and values;
Fluent in oral and written English
Ability to facilitate and communicate in local languages such as: Hausa, Kanuri and Fulfulde.
FEMALE CANDIDATES WHO MET THE ABOVE CRITERIA ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO APPLY.
Language Skills: Must be able to communicate and write in English, Hausa and Kanuri languages is a plus.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.
- Address Borno
- Salary Offer Negotiable
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 0-5