The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: HR Assistant
Requisition ID: req8122
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Sector: Human Resources
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Background / IRC Summary
- The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in over 40 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
- IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs as new areas became accessible after prolonged conflict and insecurity, in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States.
- The IRC’s response to the humanitarian situation includes integrated health and nutrition services, reproductive health care and women protection services, Environmental Health, Child Protection, Economic Recovery and Development, Education and General Protection. The country program has a five year strategy action plan, 2015 to 2020, that is reviewed on an annual basis. IRC’s programming in Northeast Nigeria is supported by a team of more than 650 staff
Scope of Work:
- The HR Assistant is responsible for day-to-day HR & administrative requirements, functions and general office management of the IRC offices and to assist the HR Team in all related HR & Admin functions.
Specific HR Responsibilities:
- Support onboarding and integration of new hires
- Support in performance management and staff development
- Support in staff management and administration
- Conduct monthly orientation of new hires.
- Maintain staff database-( timesheet, leave and other benefits)
- Assist with staff training sessions, workshops and activities.
- Document control for all HR filing system and catalogue HR materials.
- Assist with payroll management.
- Support exit management
- Perform other job-related tasks as requested by the HR lead
- Follow up on employee’s benefits; health insurance, life insurance, & social security.
Assist in Administration Management:
- Track and monitor IRC office and guesthouse administration and maintenance.
- Manage rental agreements for offices and housing.
- Assure that all facilities are well functioning, including housekeeping, office supplies, electricity, maintenance and repair, internet and other communications functions in the field office.
- Assure proper use and functionality of office equipment.
- Supervise cleaners and cooks.
- Track and monitor subscriptions and monthly telephone and Internet communications, and assure that all are paid on time.
- Assist in processing travel documents (visa, ticket, etc.)
Key Working Relationships:
- Position Reports to: HR Officer
- Other Internal and/or external contacts.
- External: none
- Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Work Experience: Approximately 0-1 year of relevant experience
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Professional HR & Administration experience preferably with an INGO.
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Attention to details.
- Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility, cultural and environmental sensitivity.
- Team work skills.
- Fluent in English and Hausa.
- Address Borno, Nigeria
- Salary Offer Negotiable
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 0-5