Welcome to Federal Ministry of Environment
Environment is your life, keep it safe!
Since its establishment, the Ministry has impacted on raising the issue of environmental consciousness in the minds of Nigerians as well as the interface with the Global environmental best practices. It has focused on involving innovative strategies that emphasize the use of environmental re – engineering as a veritable tool for job creation, poverty eradication, ensuring food security, encouraging sustainable economic development and general improvement in the livelihood of Nigerian populace.
The Federal Ministry of Environment was established at the inception of the new Civilian Administration under the leadership of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo in June 1999 to ensure effective coordination of all environmental matters, which hitherto were fragmented and resident in different line Ministries. The creation was intended to ensure that environmental matters are adequately mainstreamed into all developmental activities.
To be a Nation that develops in harmony with her environment.
To ensure environmental protection, natural resources conservation and sustainable development.
- Securing a quality environment conducive for good health and well being of fauna and flora.
- Promoting sustainable use of natural resources.
- Restoring and maintaining the ecosystem, ecological process and preserve biodiversity.
- Raising public awareness and promoting understanding of linkages of the environment.
- Cooperating with relevant MDAs, the private sector, NGOs, and International organizations on environmental matters.