To consistently raise awareness, provide timely and credible feedback; positively change attitudes, values and behaviours; accurately and adequately inform; and sufficiently mobilize citizens to act in ways that promote peace, harmony; and national development.
To develop a Nigerian society that is orderly, responsible and discipline, where citizens demonstrate core values of honesty, hard work and patriotism; where democratic principles and ideals are upheld; and where peace and social harmony reign.
The main objectives of the Agency, as provided in Decree 100 of 1993, are to ensure that Government programmes and policies are better understood by the general public and:
- Mobilize favourable public opinion for such programmes and policies
- Encourage informal education through public enlightenment activities and publications
- Establish feedback channels to Government on all aspects of Nigerian national life;
- Establish appropriate national framework for educating, orientating and indoctrinating Nigerians towards attitudes, values and culture which project individual’s national pride and positive national image for Nigeria;
- Awaken the consciousness of Nigerians to their responsibilities to the promotion of national unity, citizens’ commitment to their human rights to build a free, just and progressive society;
- Develop among Nigerians of all ages and sex, social and cultural values and awareness which will inculcate the spirit of patriotism, nationalism, self-discipline and self-reliance;
- Encourage the people to actively and freely participate in discussions and decisions on matters affecting their general welfare;
- Promote new sets of attitudes and culture for the attainment of the goals and objectives of a united Nigeria State;
- Ensure and uphold leadership by example;
- Foster respect for constituted authority; and
- Instill in the citizens a sense of loyalty to the fatherland.
Specifically, the Agency performs the following functions:
- Enlightenment of the general public on Government policies, programmes and activities;
- Mobilization of favourable public opinion and support for Government policies, programmes and activities;
- Collection, collation, analysis and provision of feedback from the public to Government on its policies, programmes and activities;
- Establish social institutions and framework for deliberate exposure of Nigerians to democratic norms and values for a virile, peaceful, united, progressive and disciplined society;
- Arouse the consciousness of all categories of Nigerians to their rights and privileges, responsibilities and obligations as citizens of Nigeria;
- Propagate and promote the spirit of dignity of labour, honesty and commitment to qualitative production, promotion and consumption of home produced commodities and services;
- Re-orientate the populace about power, its use and proper role of Government in serving the collective interest of Nigerians;
- Propagate the need to eschew all vices in public life including corruption, dishonesty, electoral and census malpractice, ethnic parochial and religious bigotry;
- Mobilize Nigerians for positive patriotic participation in and identification with national affairs and issues; and, Sensitize, induct and equip all Nigerians to fight against all forms of internal and external domination of resources by a few individuals or groups.